You know your files are in that PC computer, but can you find them easily? If you own a windows computer or tablet, you need to understand how and why to plan your e-filing system, and how to confidently move, copy, paste, rename and back up files and folders. Learn these and many more time-saving tips and tools. These skills are prerequisite to all other software courses. Applicable to all current versions of Windows. Electronic course manual (pdf) included. Not sure if you need this course? Compare your skills to the file management checklist found at the top of this web page or in the computer training section of the printed calendar.
What to Expect:
- You will have 3 live classes (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday) via video live-stream and will be 2 hours in duration (10am - 12pm).
- Students will be emailed the course materials and instructions on how to log-in online before the course start date.
- There is a discussion board for questions, which your instructor will monitor and answer.
- All course materials are posted online. These include handouts and activities.
- To take this course online you will need a computer with a reliable internet connection (ideally hard wired in, or located close to your main router), plus a camera and microphone. In addition, it is recommended to use Chrome as your internet browser.
- Students may also find it easier to navigate this on-line course using two computer monitors, however a single monitor is still fine, you can set up your desktop view as a split screen feature.
You must have a Gmail account (and password) for use in class. If you don’t have one, click here for directions on how to create a Gmail account (free). Students should ensure they have access to a cloud (such as Dropbox, GDrive, OneDrive, Icloud etc. ) and ensure they know their username and password for class.
If you are taking the MS-Office certificate program: BSCM 501G Computers 1 for PCs or equivalent basic skills. You must be able to: identify parts of a window (title bar, status bar, tool bar, menu bar, ribbons, control buttons); cut and paste text between windows; save, open and close files; resize and switch between windows; confidently use a mouse to click, drag, double-click, and use right-click to access shortcut menus.
- "I like that you gave us enough info to be very useful, but did not overwhelm us... Excellent course." M.Z.
- "The course was a series of "aha moments" for me." L.B.
Applies Towards the Following Certificates
- MS Office : Required